Saturday, November 20, 2010

Even Closer Still!

Either cold temps have come a little early or maybe it's just been a long time but 15º this morning felt darn cold! All the water in the park, including Shingle Creek had a thin layer of transparent ice. As I crossed the bridge on the north side I looked down to notice hundreds of Carp huddled in a big mass just underneath the ice. This photo was just a small section of the group that had to be about 30 feet long by 10 feet wide. After last week I would have never thought I'd get any closer to a Deer in the park but I was wrong! In roughly the same place but on the other side of the trail were a Doe and two Fawns. One of the Fawns stayed further back as the other two slowly made their way closer to me as they searched under the snow for food. Again I knelt down on one knee holding motionless other than the occasional raising of my camera. This time it was the Fawn who took interest and in an extremely deliberate way, trotted right up to me. It stopped only five feet from me! I was dumbfounded and slowly reached out my hand thinking it might just come up and smell my glove. Just as quickly, it decided it was no longer interested in me and moved on to munching on some green grass just a few feet away. At this distance I really should have gotten better pictures but unfortunately I was aiming directly into the sunlight. There are at least two groups of Does and Fawns in the park but it seems logical that this was the same group who's Doe approached me last weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment