Sunday, November 21, 2010

Drizzily November Afternoon

It's a lot easier to spot both birds and deer now with no leaves and white backdrop of snow. Through the winter there will be a lot less variety of birds so anything other than a Chickadee is exciting. This male Red-bellied Woodpecker was right out in the open, though quite far away. I only got a photo from the back before he flew off. I'm still seeing lots of deer and counted ten in this visit. They seem to sticking in larger groups now of four or more, another reason they're easy to spot lately. These three were part of a group of six I think just before the foot bridge on the north side. With just how close I've been able to get to deer lately, I walked towards this group thinking they'd stay put but to the contrary they were a lot more skittish and bolted off into the woods. The large group of Carp I'd seen yesterday were still in the same general spot, only most of the thin ice had melted due to some drizzle in the air. I walked up to the edge of the creek and could periodically see the water churn in places where groups of them would get excited or whatever. When they did this near the edge, it would actually lift up the thin layers of ice making an unusually weird creaking sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment