Saturday, May 15, 2010

Walk after kayak excursion

After a couple hours of kayaking it was still early in the day so I decided to walk around the park. Upon coming to the pine tree where I'd found the bird's egg last Wednesday I decided to peek my head in. There sitting on the nest was a female Cardinal whom I scared out quickly. I couldn't see any babies but now I know what kind of bird the egg belongs to. Later on the paved path I noticed this snail poking his head high up out of his shell. I always thought they had just one set of tentacles but it was easier to see from this guy that there are two. I finally did run across a few deer on the southwest side. This is an unusual place to see them but I have been seeing more of them here over the past couple of weeks. There were two who walked right out in front of me on the wood chip trail. When I went for my camera they got spooked and darted into the thick woods. A short while later one more jumped out and ran across the field where they plow the snow into in the winter. I don't get many "action" shots with my low-end camera but this one sort of worked. Right before the mouth of the creek, I noticed a couple of big mushrooms down in a low spot off the left side of the trail. I'm pretty sure they are Morel Mushrooms and there were just three of them -two growing together and one on it's own. The looked so top-heavy that they were about to tip over.

No comments:

Post a Comment