Saturday, January 30, 2010

Back to Winter

After the warm temps melted a fair amount of snow and ice, it's turned cold again with evenings dipping slightly below zero. There's barely any open water now compared to just last week. Saw a group of 6 or 7 deer on the west side but they were too far back in the woods for a photo. Since I highly doubted I'd see any more deer after that I figured I'd try some bird shots. Birds are so much tougher as they don't sit still for long. Some, like this Chickadee are gone a half a second after you snap the shutter. Shortly later I ran into two guys at the bridge. One guy had some nice camera equipment and the other was holding a large deer antler. I stopped to talk to them and they said they had found the shed antler out in the woods while photographing birds. It was in near perfect shape. As I counted the 5 tines on the antler, I wondered if it was from the 10pt Buck I saw just last week. I still had the pics on my camera and I showed them as we speculated as to whether or not it may have belonged to the same deer. They also had a nice photo of a Great Horned Owl which spurred a good conversation about the various birds we'd all seen in the park. Birds seemed to be the theme of the day, though I also saw a few squirrels and rabbits out enjoying the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment