Sunday, June 21, 2009

Nature in small packages

Humid morning today. Seems like the carp in Shingle Creek are getting bigger every day. On the east side of the park I noticed a green heron in a little slough. He was stalking something so I stopped to watch. Right after I took this picture he darted his head into the water and came up with something in his beak. Could have been a frog but I was too far away to tell. Coming back to the south side I started to notice the small snails again that I'd seen after first setting out. Seems like they're always trying to cross the foot path for some reason. Or maybe that's the only place you'd notice such a small, slow moving creature.





Lastly, per suggestion, I wanted to post a photo of something I see everyday...garbage. I sure wish people would be more careful with their plastic bottles and aluminum cans. Eventually, all this stuff ends up in the lowest places in the park -the very same areas that collect water essential to the wildlife here. I try to pick up items here and there before they end up in the water, but geez is there a lot of it. Considering a Palmer Lake clean-up day sometime soon...

2 comments: