Saturday, January 26, 2013

Not Quite Warmed Up Yet

This Saturday morning I was expecting our temps to be a little better than they've been lately. Unfortunately it was still -4º in the early morning and had only warmed up to 6º above by the time I arrived at the park. When I parked on the west side I immediately spotted a Red-tailed Hawk before I even got out of my vehicle. I took a few pics of him after rolling down my window but of course I tried to get closer afterwards. Red-tails to me are much easier to bump than other Hawks. It seems that once they realize you are looking at them they immediately fly off which is why I have so many photos just like this! Shortly after this I spotted another Red-tailed just down the path but it too flew off the minute I looked at him through my binoculars. On the south west side a bird suddenly flew into view atop a tree inside the patch and began flicking it's tail. I seemed rather large and at first I couldn't figure out what it was. When it turned it's back to me is when I realized it was a Northern Shrike who was carrying a mouse! When it first landed it looked like the mouse was part of the bird's head thus making it's head look unusually large. This is now the 4th time I've seen a Shrike with a catch -all 4 times a rodent of some kind but I'm guessing a mouse. They must be easy picking this time of year for the Shrikes. Later I spotted a Shrike again and I'm not sure if it was the same one but it was singing like crazy. They make some pretty beautiful sounds for such a carnivorous bird. I ended up taking a video and capturing the sound and have posted it to my flickr page here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/59831440@N04/ Later I saw quite a few bright red male Cardinals, Downy Woodpeckers and lots of Chickadees. Oh and for the first time this season, I couldn't locate "Waldo" the Wood Duck over on the southwest side with the Mallards.

No comments:

Post a Comment