Sunday, January 27, 2013

Another Slow Day in January

It's this time of year that walking around the park can be not only challenging but a little on the boring side –at least for birdwatching that is. But don't get me wrong, I'd take a stroll in the park any day over a day at the office! It's just a bit frustrating when the birds and other wildlife are so few and far between. One bird I photograph and was quite pleased to see was this Cedar Waxwing on the south side of the park. He or she (the males and females look the same) were picking the last remaining berries from a Buckthorn Tree. I've not seen a Cedar Waxwing in quite some time and it was a nice change from the Chickadees and Downy Woodpeckers that make up about 75% of all the birds I see this time of year. There was just one other item that I found interesting on this late January day, but was not a bird.
I noticed that the Pussy Willows were already sprouting their soft fuzzy "catkins!" I've also noticed these coming out much later like March or April so I would have never thought they could be out this early. I would doubt they sprout many times but I wonder if it's possible. Something else I will have to look into.



No comments:

Post a Comment