Sunday, July 1, 2012

Heading into Summer

I arrived at the park early this Sunday morning just before 8am. Even the month of June has been unusually warm so I'm thinking that July will be more of the same. For a couple of my early morning walks in June, the first bird I would spot and/or photograph was a Brown Thrasher. That was true again this morning which is making me start to think of them as a "morning bird" -even more so than a Robin. This one was right up above me but I still had a great view of him and his bright yellow eyes. You can't tell so much in this photo but another distinguishing trait is that they have very long, slightly curved bills. It makes them kind of stand out from other similarly colored birds. A short while later I had a chance to photograph an American Redstart from quite a close distance -only he was unfortunately facing directly away from me. I was kind of bummed but the photo actually shows some wing and tail details of the Redstart that I've not really been able to see before. They are much too quick of a bird and are often sitting in dark shaded areas hence you never really see much of them long enough to really understand what they look like. On the north side of the park I was surprised to see a single Wild Turkey heading out of the woods and towards the paved trail. I think it was a female and I waited until she was right on the trail so I could take a shot. When turkeys come out into an open area they're usually walking quite a bit faster so of course the head was moving a bit to fast for my camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment