Saturday, May 12, 2012

Another Great Day of Birding

I got an early start this Saturday and arrived at the park just before 8am. The sun is getting higher in the sky every day and the weather today was fantastic. I heard and spotted a huge variety of birds and took exactly 90 photos! In only the first 15 to 20 minutes, I'd seen Common Yellowthroats, Baltimore Orioles, Yellow Warblers, and an Osprey picking a fish out of the lake. I'm constantly trying for a better photo of a Yellow Warbler so I stalked this one for a while until he finally came out into the open. They tend to hide out in the dense tree tops so it's always nice to see one in clear view without any leaves in the way. After watching some Canada Geese with babies and then a small group of 3 deer, I spotted a most unusual pair of birds high up some thick trees on the north side. In the brief moments that I could see them through the leaves, I could make out 2 distinct colors -a deep blue and a rusty brown. I thought for sure I was seeing a new Warbler of some kind and it was quite exciting. I desperately tried for photos but the view was unforgiving as the pair hopped around quickly inside the thick tree top. Based on my photos, later study told me that it just couldn't have been a Warbler. I had to call in support from more experienced birders who confirmed that they were Indigo Buntings -in their second year plumage! This explained the brown color as they were probably molting. After spending close to 30 minutes alone trying to get better photos, I moved on but didn't have to go that far to spot yet another colorful bird. This Rose-breasted Grosbeak actually flew right into view just a bit further down the trail. He initially landed with his back side to me and though not as colorful, it was interesting to see the sharp black and white patterns. This bird also didn't like to stay put for very long but with all the moves he made, his front side eventually came into view. I was quite happy with this photo and they are sure a fun bird to see -and hear, though this one never made a sound. Near the end of my walk I'd run into a fellow birder and we stood comparing photos and watching whatever came by. He pointed out a Tennessee Warbler to me and I was able to spot it in my binoculars for just a few seconds. I'm going to try and remember it's drab olive greenish-grey color but it was a pretty plain looking bird. Then a Baltimore Oriole flew in fairly close to us and began picking at the leaves, sometimes even nearly hanging upside down to get at what he was looking for. My birder friend explained that he was eating up all those little green inchworms that are so plentiful lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment