Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Northern Harriers

I visited the park again this Tuesday after work and realized it was my 4th visit in 4 days. It was even colder today at just 43 degrees but at least the wind had died down a little and it was bright and sunny. I walked the opposite direction tonight, heading first to where I'd seen the Ruby-crowned Kinglets on the north side. They were definitely not around this evening but I did spot a lot of activity out near the middle of the park. There were at least 2, maybe 3 large raptors swooping back and forth just above the cattails. When they would pull up and turn I could see an obvious white patch on their rump which told me they were Northern Harriers. I've only seen one maybe once before and was never able to catch a good photo. They were quite far away and I've zoomed in quite a bit on this one but it was easy to see how white they were from underneath. There was also a mature Bald Eagle perched in the tall dead tree overlooking the park and periodically the Harriers would appear to be interacting with him, zooming right past him. Their active behavior continued out in the middle of the park during my entire walk. Shortly after moving on I spotted another Bluebird in the same area I've been spotting them lately. It is just too hard to resist taking photos of them as they are so brightly colored. I had to stalk this one for a bit in order to get closer and in better light. On a nicer day I still may go back to the 'blind" and take some more pictures because they are just so fun to see. Upon heading south on the wood chip trail, I stopped and looked again for Kinglets as this was where I'd seen them last year. But again there were none to be found. Instead I spotted another Blue Winged Teal, this time both the male and female. It was getting dark by now and they were mostly only shadows but I could see the bright white half-moon shape in front of his eyes. Glad to see that they are still around but I doubt it will be for much longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment