Saturday, April 14, 2012

A Nice Day to Feel Miserable

I had picked up a nasty cold/flu on Wednesday and I was still feeling crummy this Saturday. The weather was not cooperating with my condition however and it was a fantastically beautiful day; sunny and 74 degrees! I just couldn't forgo a walk around the park and sniffled my way around. I felt all the more miserable afterward but in the end I was quite happy with my photos for the day. The first thing I spotted was a Coot on the south side where the railroad ties overlook the junction of the 2 biggest bodies of water. I've seen Coot's hanging out with the Mallards and Geese already this year but I normally don't get to see them this close up. There was only just the one and at times he was trying to avoid a Muskrat swimming by with long cattails in it's mouth. Right near the main parking lot on the south side I noticed a female Bluebird and was able to walk up closely for some decent shots. The male was around and would land near her periodically but the female stayed mostly in this same tree. Even this female looked brilliant blue -at least on her tail feathers. Goldfinches can be heard everywhere in the park now and I'm still learning to pick out their song amongst all the other birds that are arriving for the spring. The last time I had a good look at one, the males were still dull yellow colored but they are brighter than ever already. This one was singing from the top of a tree and I found an old dead stump to stand up on and get me a little closer. A Goldfinch is right up there with a Cardinal in that they're both common but I'm always trying to get better photos of them. Near the end of my walk I was lucky enough to glance upward at the right moment and spot a small bird, nearly invisible against the bark of the tree it was scurrying up. I recognized it quickly as a Brown Creeper and I got my camera on him right away. Only trouble is that I couldn't tell for sure if he was in the viewfinder! If you are looking at one straight on, they are so well camouflaged that they can virtually disappear. As I zoomed in on him he made his way around the tree and gave me a better angle for a photo but shortly afterward, he moved further up the tree and I never saw him again. It was my first opportunity to photograph one and I can see how tough it is going to be to get another.

1 comment:

  1. Good photos and an interesting blog. I'll have to get down there soon. Hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete