Monday, April 25, 2011

Three for three

Today was my third visit to the park in three days. The weather was still great today but even warmer. It will be just a matter of days I think before the trees really start looking full again. Something I noticed right away today was Butterflies. Specifically Mourning Cloaks. This was the first one I saw but I later spotted more as I went. I kind of associate these with Summer so I don't know if they're early this year or maybe I just haven't been paying attention in years prior. On the north side I again spotted a Kestral -which also marks 3 days in a row! It's kind of like when you notice a certain type of car for the first time and then you start to see it everywhere. I guess the same holds true for nature. You start to notice subtle behaviors or colors or postures -with birds especially- that can help you pick them out the next time. Today's Kestral sighting was cool because as I was looking at this one through my binoculars, I noticed another one in a different tree even closer to me! Both appeared to be males but I can't say I'm an expert at telling them apart yet. Later I spotted a Great Egret, Great Blue Heron, Goldfinch and more Painted Turtles. This Common Grackle was close to me alongside the paved path near the pond on the east side so I took a pic just for the heck of it. I tried to get his iridescent head but he must have been at the wrong angle.

1 comment:

  1. Nice Job! I'm also noticing more butterflies than usual for this time of year. Though last year I saw a couple at Crex-Meadows this early.

    ReplyDelete