Saturday, April 2, 2011

New month

April has finally arrived and it feels good to have the snowiest months behind us now. The early morning temps are still below freezing so I had dressed accordingly warm. The big difference now is that temperatures can climb up into the mid 40's before I make it around. So there I was today in my heavy winter jacket and stocking cap while joggers ran by me in shorts. From the parking lot I noticed a group of black and white Ducks on the far end of the lake. I assumed they were more Goldeneyes but when I looked closer I could not see the white patch on the head. Then I realized they were Common Mergansers. I'd only ever seen one single female last fall so these were the first males I've spotted at the park. On the southwest side I noticed Pussy Willows blooming and speckling the horizon with bright white dots. The trees should be budding any day now too. The last few weeks has been good for Deer sightings and I'm averaging about 10-12 every walk. Today was about the same but the first ones I saw were also being admired by a lot of other park goers within just feet of the trail. All 3 looked like young ones and they were tilting their heads in the air trying to smell me.

No comments:

Post a Comment