Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Meal for a Hawk

This evening after work was partly sunny and 54 degrees and just begged for a visit to the park. Though it was another short one, I was able to do it without a jacket for the first time in roughly 5 months! From the paved trail on the far western edge, I noticed a large bird perched low to the ground on a fallen tree. It was a Hawk feasting on a recent kill and making a lot of commotion. In fact as I watched, it began making loud noises unlike most calls I've ever heard from a Hawk before. Then I noticed a second Hawk perched on the same log further to the left. Eventually the first Hawk flew off while still making these loud calls and the second Hawk moved in to finish up the scraps. Both looked like the same species and my best guess is that they were Coopers Hawks. I could see red eyes on one for sure but both had that bluish, slate gray appearance to their back side.

No comments:

Post a Comment