Saturday, April 30, 2011

Hat and gloves one more time?

This Saturday morning followed the recent trend of cold and windy but with an added bonus of rain as well. Before I left the parking lot I'd actually decided to wear my winter hat -and was later thankful for it. Right away I spotted what I thought was a small group of Deer. As I went for my camera, they bolted forward quickly and then were followed by at least 6 or 7 more. The whole group actually ran right into and through the parking lot. Later, the cause of the alarm appeared to be a dog that wandered away from his owner. I saw roughly 15 or more Deer today and spotted another young Buck with new antlers. Right after the bridge on the north side I noticed a Wild Turkey in some thick brush. I was close enough for a photo but it stayed in the thickest parts moving in and out from behind trees. I decided to stalk him for a while hoping to get a better shot. Eventually he decided to move along and headed towards some more open areas. He would only pause for a second or two and only once or twice in an opening through the trees. It was ticking me off to be this close and not be getting a better shot so I followed him some more until he finally got to the edge of a field. There I paused motionless for long time and he walked right out in front of me and onto the trail. Wild Turkeys make the Deer in the park seem like tame pets in comparison. Any subtle movement on my part would have sent him running or flying off in a split second. The rest of my walk afterward was rainy as heck and my camera lens would not stay dry enough to even bother.

No comments:

Post a Comment