Saturday, February 26, 2011

Close encounters on a cold day

It was exactly zero degrees when I arrived at the park this morning and I really wasn't expecting to see much. I'd brought my snowshoes with and planned to just carry them with me until I reached the north east side and look for antler sheds. I'd only walked about 500 feet down the paved trail when a jogger tipped me off to a Coyote that was just inside the trail. I chatted with him for mere seconds before parting ways in hopes of spotting him. I decided to keep going until I hit the next wood chip trail where you can see out a bit further. There I spotted him moving off in the distance and immediately got out my camera. He was quite far away and moving, and suddenly I lost him. I began taking long distance pics right where I'd last seen him and upon looking at the preview on my camera screen, realized he was still there -just sitting motionless on his hind legs. After a minute or so he trotted out into the field, presenting a few more good photo opportunities whenever he wasn't blocked by Cattails. He made his way into the next section of woods on the south west side, so figured I'd cut through there on the next wood chip trail. I was still carrying my snowshoes when all of sudden he darted right out in front of me across the trail! He circled half way around me in the thick brush, then stopped abruptly and went back the same way. By this time I'd chucked my snowshoes on the ground and had my camera ready and waiting. I was focusing on the trail about 50 some feet ahead of me, and luckily he popped out again, crossing in nearly the same spot heading the other way. It was quite exciting, being one of the closest -and definitely the longest- encounter I've had with a Coyote! When I finally got to the opposite side of the park, I strapped on my snowshoes and walked up the drainage ditch where I've seen so many Deer this season. The furthest side of the ditch has these enormous trees that had been toppled by strong winds years ago and pulled up huge chunks of earth in their roots. It's kind a sheltered, low place which is probably the Deer are attracted to it. It wasn't long until I spotted a couple of Deer, then more, then more and more. Before even getting to the end, I'd seen 12 of them! Most had white faces from searching for food under the snow. The snow flurries in the air were also picking up and coating their backs as I was taking photos. As I hiked back on the frozen ditch itself, there were groups of deer up on either side of the bank staring down at me. I felt like I really invaded their territory as probably not too many people venture into this area -except for maybe in the winter. Of the 12 deer I saw, not one of them had antlers -and some of them really looked like they might be a Buck. In this last photo, see if you can spot the fourth Deer!

No comments:

Post a Comment