Saturday, December 4, 2010

White Duck and Two Big Bucks

On Friday afternoon it started snowing like crazy and it continued through the night. By the time I arrived at the park on Saturday morning we had a fresh blanket of at least 6 inches. Though walking was tough, it was a great visit with a surprise around every corner. I'm not sure if it was because of the snowfall but everything in the park seemed to be active. I know for sure that I almost doubled my previous record of most photos per visit, taking 135 pictures today! After taking in all the beautiful scenery, I noticed an odd-duck, literally among all the Mallards in the water near the southwest side. This Duck was pure white with a bright orange bill and it stuck out like a sore thumb. I don't know if it's a different species or maybe an Albino. It seemed to be accepted and get along just fine with the other Mallards. Right before the bridge on the north side I spotted a couple of Deer on the other side of the Shingle Creek, along the high banks. They definitely spotted me too when I hit the un-plowed bridge which echoed loudly under my steps. There was a Doe and a Fawn that seemed cautious at first until I stopped mid-way on the bridge. I watched them for only a minute or so before the Doe jumped was startled forward by something other than myself. I thought this strange and until I realized what was coming up behind her. From behind the hillside of the creek bank, a massive Buck suddenly appeared and held motionless. Though I'd been solid as a statue while watching the Doe and Fawn, he was obviously aware of me and made little to no movement after first appearing. After I decided to move closer he trotted off behind the other two but reappeared as I rounded the corner after the bridge. Here I got a straight on shot him and his enormously wide antlers. Seconds later he trotted back towards the high creek bank where he immediately found interest in something tasty up in the trees above him. He was half on the hillside already, angled upward but eventually leaned back to stand up on only his two hind legs. I've only seen deer do this one other time and it's kind of funny looking -but to see a big Buck do it was a real treat. He must have been near 8 feet tall -especially with his massive antlers. I watched for a long time but only after looking at my photos on the computer did I realize that he must have been after the black berries above him. After he lost interest in those, he actually started heading my way again, stopping here and there to paw at the snow. Eventually he walked as close as he got to me and posed for some better pictures. When I saw him in the park I was sure he was roughly a 12-pointer. After studying the photos more closely the rack has a defined 10 points for sure. After taking my share of photos of this guy, I was plenty satisfied and went on my way. Only about 3 minutes later down the trail I spotted another single Deer. Thinking I'd already seen my only Buck of the day, I didn't even slow down at first until I noticed yet another set of decent antlers. It's such a rare occasion to see 2 Bucks in one visit that at first I thought it had to be the same Deer. But unless he was walking right behind me, it could not be. This one though had a distinctively symmetrical 8-point rack. I watched him for while as he made his way through some thick brush, even closing his eyes to avoid poking his own eye out. Eventually he walked right out into the open and crossed the field near the drainage ditches on the north side. I can only think of one other time that I've seen 2 Bucks in the same visit. Be sure to click on the photos for a larger view!

No comments:

Post a Comment