Tuesday, July 6, 2010

New stuff

It's been a while since I've visited the park 2 whole days in a row. This was the first since mid June. Today I saw some different butterfly's than yesterday. I opted for a long distance photo of this one as it was the only one of it's kind around. I didn't see any deer this time -maybe it's getting too hot lately. Someone I'd talked to on the trail said that there were fawns around again this year so I am keeping my eyes peeled. I did manage to spot and finally photograph a bird though of which I'd only caught a quick glimpse of last year. At the time I really didn't know if it was an Indigo Bunting or a Purple Martin. It was a long ways away and high up in a tree but looked mostly blue or blueish purple. One thing I did smartly was to take some video -with sound- that I could later compare against recorded sound from my favorite bird website: http://www.allaboutbirds.org. From there I easily realized it was indeed a male Indigo Bunting. I wish I'd caught a better of him cause they seem to be pretty rare in the park. On the south side at the lake overlook I noticed a big fat Monarch Caterpillar, probably only a few days away from starting a cocoon. I used to find these by the hundreds as a kid but now I tend to see maybe one or two here and there. Though maybe the park is a little on the wet, swampy side for Monarchs. Regardless it's nice to see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment