Monday, July 5, 2010

Colorful Monday

It's funny just how long cattails last before they finally seed out, die and sprout new new cattails. I'd say the process takes almost an entire year. I'm just now starting to notice new ones taking shape in the form of tender green stalks. At the top is a weird looking gold outer shell that is seemingly shed somehow. I'm really not sure to be honest but I thought it was a sight you might not see to often. Closer to the north side I came upon a field of flowering thistle plants that were attracting butterflies by the hundreds. There were so many you could see about one butterfly for every 2 or 3 purple flowers. They were all the same species -of which I have no idea so I will need to look up. It's an extremely common one for sure as I see these all the time -just not in the vast quantities I saw today. Just a while later I noticed one lone doe just on the inside of the trail. She was busily munching from the tree tops and it was kind a funny sight. She'd stretch as far upwards as possible to reach the green foliage. I was so hoping I might witness her stand up on her hind legs. I just witnessed a deer do this for the first time ever this spring in a different park near the Mississippi River Valley and boy was that neat. You'd never think they could that but they'll stand right up on two legs and reach leaves nearly 6 feet up! This one apparently had no need to perform such a feat however. Later on the south side I tried taking a few pics of these tiny, blue dragonflies that were latched on everywhere in the tall weeds. I was amazed at how bright blue they were and it was easy to spot them because of their color.

No comments:

Post a Comment