Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Wednesday Owls and Deer

I recently heard that an owl's eyes actually focus better in low light. Must be true as I've only ever seen them at Palmer Lake on dark and dreary winter days. For the past week or so I've been keeping my own eyes upwards hoping to spot one. Today right off the bat I noticed a Great Horned perched relatively low to the ground in some birch trees. Man he was big. Shortly after I started walking more briskly in an attempt to warm up a little when I came right up on a group of five deer. My fast pace apparently spooked them and they scattered quickly until I slowed up. When I did, a few of them came back around. I'm positive this is the same fawn from yesterday and probably the same mother doe always along side. On the opposite side of the park I spotted yet another Great Horned Owl, though this one was slightly smaller and much more rust-colored -especially in the face. Look how far his neck is turned.

No comments:

Post a Comment