Sunday, November 22, 2009

Wood Duck

The woods are really starting to thin out now and you can see much further through the trees. Things that I've never noticed before are now in plain sight like this huge beehive just a few feet off the wood chip trail. Not much wildlife seen this day but at one of the small ponds near the baseball fields I spotted this big group of Ducks. There in the middle was just one male Wood Duck among about 25 other Mallards. I didn't think they associated with each other but apparently they do. The Wood Duck however was constantly being harassed by a few of the Mallards. As they chased him back and forth, the whole group just getting closer to me so I snapped a ton of pictures. The fairly sunny sky really showed off his bright colors and iridescent green-blue-purple head. After a while he ended up only just feet from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment