Sunday, October 18, 2009

Critters everywhere

Everything I expected to see yesterday -and way more- were out today. It was one of those fantastic walks that happen only 2-3 times a year where I can start to lose track of everything I saw. To start I actually saw a Mallard chasing a Garden Snake. Or maybe it was the other way around. Regardless, the commotion caught my eye and I snapped this pic right after the duck headed back into the creek. Afterward I saw a flash of color way off in the woods and I stopped quickly when I realized it was a male Pheasant. Only the 2nd or 3rd time I've seen one here and they're darn hard to get a photo of. He was far enough away as to not be spooked and after I stood there long enough I noticed another then another then another. As I stood there snapping pictures I heard a rustling to my right and noticed another male only 10 feet from me. Though he was scurrying through the underbrush, this photo turned out better than the others 50 feet off in the woods. Later I came upon 2 more small snakes on the trail. I wonder if they don't have babies sometime in the fall. Upon rounding the north side I noticed some movement off the right side of the trail and thought there were yet more Pheasants. In fact there were 5 wild Turkeys. I snapped one crummy photo before they were gone. Since there's a trail into the woods in close proximity I decided to see if I could get ahead of them for some better pics. But as I darted into the woods, deer jumped up everywhere catching me by surprise. They didn't run far and soon I forgot about the turkeys as the group of deer milled about cautiously. I quickly picked a seat on a fallen tree and as sure as they've done in the past, the whole group eventually walked up very close to me. I snapped a ton of pics though the thick woods got in the way much of the time. All four or five looked to be Does and two of the smaller ones could very well have been the fawns I encountered earlier in the year. Later, as I was thinking about my missed photo opportunity with the Turkey's I was just crossing the ball fields and noticed these huge tracks. I laughed as the entire field was covered in them and wondered just how many Turkeys had created them. They must have been out there in the rain as even my footprints weren't making that much of an impression.

No comments:

Post a Comment