Monday, May 6, 2013

My Big Month - Day 6

I was so crabby after work today that I hardly even wanted to go to the park. I didn't even want to be anywhere -if that makes sense. I kept telling myself that I set this goal for a reason and that I might not fully realize what that reason is just yet. I definitely needed to be alone and going to the park almost always helps that. However it was quite busy with bikers and joggers this evening due to the outstanding weather. When one person tried to engage me in conversation it took all of my effort not to just walk away. Well enough about that. I did end up spotting a fair amount of bird species tonight but I don't have much daylight left for photos when I arrive after work at 6:00pm. Again I saw hundreds of Yellow-rumped Warblers, Palm Warblers and Kinglets but the absolute highlight of my evening was getting to watch and photograph a Black and White Warbler.
I'd walked into middle just a little ways on the north side and staked out a place that seemed like a good hot spot and it totally paid off. The Black & White Warbler flew in out of nowhere and proceeded to bounce around inside this large clump of Willow and other shrubs in search of food. I was determined to get a better photo of this beautifully patterned bird and it took close to 50 shots in order to come out with this one. I believe this one is a male.

Total species seen today: Black and White Warbler, Palm Warbler, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, White-throated Sparrow, Song Sparrow, Red-winged Blackbird, Common Grackle, Brown-headed Cowbird, Brown Thrasher, Northern Cardinal, American Coot, Mallard, Wood Duck, Blue-winged Teal, Great Blue Heron, Ring-necked Pheasant, Downy Woodpecker, Red-bellied Woopecker, Mourning Dove, American Robin and Canada Goose.

Conditions: 73 degrees, mostly sunny and no wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment