Saturday, May 4, 2013

My Big Month - Day 4

Well it was going to be hard to top yesterday's sighting now that I've confirmed what I saw was indeed a Blue-headed Vireo! The light was a lot better today so at least whatever I did see was coming out a bit better in my photos. I ended up running into a friend of mine fairly early into my walk so we walked around the rest of the way together, pointing out all the Yellow-rumped Warblers and Ruby-crowned Kinglets we saw. Together we spotted quite a few different birds and my daily total was 27 species! Some highlights of the day were a group of 5 Wild Turkeys, a White-crowned Sparrow, and the first Great Egret I've seen at the park this year! Though I took nearly a hundred pics of Yellow-rumped Warblers, my pick for today is a Palm Warbler that walked right out in front of us near the edge of the trail.
I'd seen one earlier in my walk but it was in the woods and all my photos had branches in them. When we first spotted him he was up in a tree and we just saw a flash of his yellow underside before he landed on the ground in front of us. This is only maybe my 3rd sighting of a Palm Warbler so I really wanted to make sure I was able to share a photo of one during my "Big Month" this May.

Total species seen today: Palm Warbler, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, House Finch, American Goldfinch, Wild Turkey, Winter Wren, Red-tailed Hawk, American Crow, Common Grackle, European Starling, Red-winged Blackbird, Brown-headed Cowbird, Northern Cardinal, American Tree Sparrow, White-crowned Sparrow, White-throated Sparrow, Great Egret, Sandhill Crane, Downy Woodpecker, Hairy Woodpecker, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Mourning Dove, Ring-billed Gull, Tree Swallow, Mallard and American Robin.

Conditions: 46 degrees and overcast skies.

No comments:

Post a Comment