Monday, May 20, 2013

My Big Month - Day 20

It was raining off and on today and although I had the day off I waited until later in the day for the weather to clear before going out birding. It ended up to be just a beautiful evening and it was a really nice and relaxing walk for me. I really thought I was going to see a lot today but for some reason it seemed a little quieter than normal in regards to bird activity. Maybe they knew there was even more rain on the way overnight. There were a few highlights of the day; seeing a Magnolia Warbler, calling in a Rose-breasted Grosbeak, and also getting to see a Mink very close up! I actually did end up with a couple of pretty nice photos of two different yellow birds -a Goldfinch and a Common Yellowthroat but since I've already used both species in previous "Big Month" posts, I decided to post this photo instead. This is a Brown Thrasher sitting on her nest. I don't want to even say where this is but I'll tell you that I would have never have found it without watching the activity of another Thrasher last week. She is quite well hidden and sheltered so I hope the nest is successful. I may check on it from time to time but do not plan to get close for fear of disturbing them. Though it might look like it, this photo was taken from a fair distance away and I don't plan on even coming that close again in the future. As mentioned above, my most fun sighting of the evening was not a bird at all but a playful and curious Mink. I spotted him swimming across a drainage ditch on the far north end of the park and watched him hop up onto the bank through my binoculars. To my surprise he then proceeded to bounce along the water's edge making his way closer and closer to me. I bent down on my knee and just continued to watch him. I think he had planned on crossing the trail to get to the other side of the ditch because he eventually popped out right there in front of me. It was awesome to finally see a Mink in plain view and in such close proximity! I didn't realize just how long their tails are, and it was also darker colored than the rest of his fur. Although I hadn't made a sound he was aware of me right away and looked pretty surprised to see me. All it took was to click my shutter once and he instantly turned around heading back the way he came. It is quite apparent how well adapted this mammal is for the environment in which it lives. It just easily covered so much ground in so little time and then dipped back into the water with barely a splash.

Total species seen today: Brown Thrasher, Common Grackle, Yellow Warbler, Magnolia Warbler, Common Yellowthroat, American Redstart, Red-winged Blackbird, Northern Cardinal, Mallard, House Finch, American Robin, American Goldfinch, Song Sparrow, Bald Eagle, Least Flycatcher, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, American Crow, Blue Jay and Canada Goose.

Conditions: 72 degrees and partly sunny.

No comments:

Post a Comment