Wednesday, May 15, 2013

My Big Month - Day 15

I had just an all around crummy day today -despite having a great walk at the park this morning. I would tell you about it here but it would take too long. But the cherry on top of my crummy day is that my vehicle is completely shot. After a $500 last ditch effort to save the transmission just 2 weeks ago, it is now wholly unreliable. So I have no idea how I'm going to be able to go birding every day from here on out. So with that said I'd better tell you about my early morning walk this morning as I can't say when I'll get another one in. The weather was absolutely awesome. It was still cool enough to throw on a vest over my sweatshirt and it felt just perfect. There were no clouds and the lighting is so great in the morning that I was just praying to see birds in certain areas that would have lent to a great photo. But birds never make things easy for you -which is part of the challenge that I like about photographing them anyways. I saw a lot of great birds today including an over-abundance of both Gray Catbirds and Goldfinch. They just seemed to be everywhere I looked and were also the two species making the most noise today.
Other highlights were spotting one of the Sandhill Cranes way out in the middle of the park, and then seeing a group of Wild Turkey's with a male that was "displaying" his fanned out feathers. One of my better pics of the day was of this American Goldfinch I saw on the southwest side. This male was so occupied with singing loudly that I was able to sneak in a little closer behind him for this shot.


Total species seen today: American Goldfinch, Common Yellowthroat, Yellow Warbler, Yellow-rumped Warbler, American Redstart, Northern Waterthrush, Gray Catbird, Baltimore Oriole, Brown Thrasher, Hermit Thrush, Song Sparrow, White-throated Sparrow, Brown-headed Cowbird, Common Grackle, Red-winged Blackbird, Black-capped Chickadee, Mourning Dove, Green Heron, Great Blue Heron, Northern Cardinal, Wren, Sandhill Crane, American Robin, Wood Duck, Mallard, Canada Goose, Red-breasted Grosbeak (female only) and Wild Turkey.

Conditions: 52 degrees and sunny. Little to no wind.


No comments:

Post a Comment