Friday, May 10, 2013

My Big Month - Day 10

I'd say that this evening after work was likely the nicest weather we've had this entire season. And it was mostly sunny which would give me a little more daylight and more opportunity to take picutres. I took about 120 photos while walking around and I did see quite a few interesting birds. Right off the bat on the east side I spotted a Northern Waterthrush, close to where the Sora was the night before. Probably the best highlight of the evening was seeing a really beautiful Warbler with a bright yellow breast and heavy dark streaking. I didn't know what it was at the time and tried had to get a decent photo but this bird was near impossible to photograph as it just moved around behind the trees too much. I had a suspicion that it might be a Magnolia Warbler and later my Stokes Field Guide to Warblers confirmed that it was indeed a mature Male Magnolia. I'd only ever seen an immature before and they looked quite different. I also saw my first American Redstart of the season, as well as a few close Yellow Warblers, and a Blue-headed Vireo again! My chosen photo of the day is this Yellow-rumped Warbler that I watched for some time almost hovering in the air over the channel on the southwest side. I think he was picking off tiny insects in the air and then would land to rest on one of two trees to my left or right. From this photo you cannot see the bright yellow patch on their backside for which they are named. It is quite obvious when they fly away from you and is also why some people call them "butter-butts."

Total species seen today: Yellow-rumped Warbler, Yellow Warbler, Palm Warbler, Magnolia Warbler, American Redstart, Northern Waterthrush, Blue-headed Vireo, Hermit Thrush, American Robin, Song Sparrow, American Tree Sparrow, White-throated Sparrow, Gray Catbird, Common Grackle, Brown-headed Catbird, Red-winged Blackbird, Black-capped Chickadee, Wild Turkey, Great Blue Heron, Northern Shoveler, Wood Duck, Mallard, American Coot and Canada Goose.


Conditions: 68 degrees and mostly sunny.

No comments:

Post a Comment