Sunday, March 31, 2013

Near Freezing Temps but More Returning Species

Today was Easter Sunday and after stuffing myself full of ham and other good stuff, the day was still long enough to get to the park again. But this time I decided that rather than walk all the way around, I would simply just sit along the banks of Shingle Creek. I did this once last year as well -probably around the same time I think- because all the early spring waterfowl are coming through now. It is really fun as you never quite know what you might see -proof positive by yesterday's Ring-billed Duck sighting! I parked on the northeast corner of the park and hiked immediately towards the foot bridge over the Shingle Creek. But before I got there I cut across the field making my way towards the water but staying behind the tall banks as much as possible. As I approached I could see many Ducks huddled along the shore -lots of them Wood Ducks. Unfortunately I didn't take 3 steps closer when some of them began to scare off, which in turn scared the others off. In just a few more steps there were NO ducks anywhere near me. But I found my favorite place to sit in the sun, leaning up against the big, tall Cottonwood and facing downstream. I realized I might have to wait quite a while for something to make it's way back upstream. But after just a few minutes, two Ducks flew in from above and landed quite close to me. I'd forgotten all about this possibility but was even more excited to see that the pair were Blue-winged Teals -the first ones I've spotted this season! The male and female made their way to the shoreline and cleaned and preened for about 10 minutes before leaving again. Much further downstream I counted approximately 15 Hooded Mergansers, male and female. They were all so far away but after patiently waiting quite a while, one pair did swim upstream again. It was fun to watch them dip under the water. Sometimes 6 or 7 would all go under within seconds of each other and it made me wonder if they ever bump into each other underwater. One male that was closer to me came up with a little fish that it dropped at first but then quickly grabbed again. These ducks are quick! As I watched them I couldn't help but notice a couple of small birds off to my right that would periodically seem to fly right down to the surface of the water and then back up again. As cold as it was today (I noticed I could see my breath), I would have thought it much too early for this bird, but indeed they were Easter Phoebes -another returning species. They would perch on little twigs over the water, swoop down to the surface and then right back to the exact same perch over and over. I know they eat insects near the water but I would think it was still much too cold for any insects to be out either -though you never know. As the waterfowl activity seemed to be slowing down for the evening, I made my way out the same way I came in through the field to my left. From a long distance I could see two Red-tailed Hawks flying to the south and watched them through my binoculars. Soon one landed and then surprisingly the other landed on top of the other. They were quite a ways away but I realized quickly that they were mating. Being the type of fierce hunters that they are with such sharp claws I am quite curious how they don't tear each other to shreds! It would have been awesome to see this sight closer but I thought it was worth mentioning on my blog here today.



No comments:

Post a Comment