Saturday, December 15, 2012

Rainy Day and First Owl of the Season

This Saturday it began raining very early in the morning and continued most of the day. It quickly ate away at our 8-10" snow cover and turned what remained into a thick, wet, sloppy mess. I didn't even want to go the park until later in the day when the rain started to fizzle out. So I arrived at about 3:30 in the afternoon which didn't give me much daylight seeing as how sunset is at 4:32pm! As I crossed the bridge over Shingle Creek on the south side, I spotted two Muskrats sitting on the ice. I don't typically see more than one at a time but they were quite far away at this point. I walked up the woodchip trail to get closer and took this photo right before he decided to slip into the icy cold water. The temp today was warm -about 36ยบ but areas of the park with lots of snow were becoming noticeably foggy as I continued on. Near the southwest side a fellow park goer tipped me off to a "real live owl" in the area after noticing the camera around my neck. He gave me a quick general idea of where to look and I excitedly hurried on. I was fully expecting to see a Great Horned, but instead was treated to a close view of a Barred Owl! This is the first owl I've seen this season and it was a clear and unobstructed view save for how dark it was getting already. I was surprised that I was able to walk almost right underneath the owl without bumping it. As I was looking for a better angle I noticed what looked to be a fresh kill sight on the ground. In the snow were blood stains and some entrails of a critter that seemed to be much too large for a mouse or a vole. I inspected this for a moment only to look back up and find no owl there anymore! I couldn't believe how quiet they are even when they decide to fly to another tree. Then I noticed him again just a few trees down and this time was able to walk directly underneath him. I could hear a squirrel loudly "barking" over and over so I started looking around for it. I found him to be on the very same tree that the owl had re-perched in and then I really started to think that the Barred Owl had possibly just attacked and ate another squirrel very recently. I had so many good photo opportunities of this owl but with the darkness and humidity fogging up my lens, I had to move on. This was my best photo and it is lightened up considerably from the original. It was easy walking today with the rain having cleared and cleaned the path right down to the pavement. Nothing was slippery at all as it was just way too warm. Everywhere the fog started to encroach along the ditches where there was more snow pack. It was so thick and "soupy" that it gave the park a sort of "haunted" feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment