Saturday, December 29, 2012

Duck Soup

My walk this Saturday was a quick one and there wasn't much to see with all the snow on the ground. The most interesting sight of the day was when I went around the Duck Pond on the southwest corner. There were hundreds of Mallards huddled together up against the banks on all sides of the pond. I've seen Ducks congregate here once or twice before, and usually before a snowstorm. Indeed we were expecting more snow today so I guess they somehow knew the forecast. For so many ducks in such a small space they didn't make a whole lot of noise. Only just quiet noises probably to keep from bumping into each other. I couldn't even get all of them in this first photo as there were many more near the left bank as well. I looked for quite a while for the Wood Duck, assuming he was in there somewhere but I was never able to locate him. With the pending winter weather coming I was hoping he would be smart enough to take refuge with the other mallards. Later on in my walk it did indeed start snowing like crazy. The only other bird I was able to photograph today was a European Starling.

No comments:

Post a Comment