Saturday, December 24, 2011

Lots of Birds for Christmas

Today is the day before Christmas but luckily I was able to visit the park in the morning just after 8am. The temp was a bit cooler today at about 20ยบ. It's obviously going to be a "Brown Christmas" this year as our temps have just been way too mild and we've only received small, periodic dustings of snow lately. I saw a surprising variety of birds today including a Hairy Woodpecker, Downy Woodpecker, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Chickadee, Nuthatch, Robin, Junco, Starling, Northern Shrike and finally a Hawk that was too far away to identify. My best sighting of the day was of the Shrike whom I watched move three times from his original perch on top of some Buckthorn trees on the north side. By the time I pulled up my binoculars he took off and I spotted a lone Deer who'd walked almost right underneath his tree. I lost him for a while until came around the corner and saw him again up in the tall dead tree near the trail. Though still far away I was happy to see him in some decent lighting as opposed to the normally overcast conditions I tend to see them in. From here, the Shrike took off again and did something I would have never guessed. He passed above me and then "dive-bombed" a Crow that was perched high up in some trees behind me. The Crow had to be at least 4 times larger him, but his attack was serious enough to flush the Crow off of his branch. He did this once more, again prompting the Crow to move. I'm not sure if he actually had a beef with the Crow or if he was just playing, but soon after he moved to another tall tree where stayed put for a long time. When I rounded the northeast side near Penn Avenue is when I spotted a small group of Juncos and an even smaller group of Starlings -probably 3 or 4. I heard their strange "whirring" call before spotting them. Most birders are not fond of Starlings but I think they are quite interesting. The ones I saw today looked a tad darker than they have looked this Summer and Fall.

1 comment:

  1. Like the starling. Enjoy your writing as well.

    ReplyDelete