Sunday, June 26, 2011

Quiet Sunday

This Sunday morning I arrived at the park just after 8:00am and it was noticeably quieter than usual. I think a lot of people are out of town on vacation or something because I nearly had the park to myself. Something I find myself doing often after visiting the same park time-after-time, is to find myself in a particular place and remembering a previous encounter with wildlife. While rounding the southwestern corner of the park I paused to look at spot where I'd seen a Coyote sitting in winter, staring out across the middle of the park. The landscape had changed so drastically since then. I didn't see as many birds as yesterday although I did spot a few Goldfinches and a big male Flicker in the tall grass of the baseball fields. After walking up the wood chip trail along the creek on the south side, I quickly spotted a Mink swimming across the water towards a thicket of trees. I'm not sure how to describe the difference between a Mink and a Muskrat when they swim -but I would say that a Mink looks a lot longer and holds it's head almost completely above water. I'm glad to know they are still in the area -maybe they will help clean out some of the Carp in Shingle Creek. While in the same area by the water overlook, I took some time to clean up a bunch of garbage left by people fishing from the railroad ties. I really don't get people who bring in all kinds of stuff -cans, bottles, plastic wrappers and bags, proceed to fish for a while, then just up and leave without a care in the world about cleaning up the mess they just made. What a bunch of idiots. It's a whole 10 minute walk back to the parking lot where there are 3-4 garbage cans, yet they'll leave empty plastic bags and even tangled up fishing line just feet from the edge of the water. After picking up all this crap, I noticed a fairly large, winged insect and decided to grab a photo as it was kind of unusual. It reminded me of some much larger "water-bugs" I've seen in the past along Minnesota riverbanks. When I came back to the parking lot, I'd just gotten in my vehicle when I noticed a Chipmunk crawling around in the trees and bushes near my parking space. Though Chipmunks are so common, it was the first time I'd seen one at the park so I rolled down my window and took this photo from inside my truck. Another mammal to add to my list!

1 comment:

  1. AnonymousJuly 12, 2011

    People fish in palmer lake brooklyn center mn?

    ReplyDelete