Friday, May 20, 2011

Friday Sunrise Walk

I arrived at the park again at 5:30am this Friday morning. I was slightly less tired today and eager for a good walk. The sky was incredible when I first set out and I took a few shots just near the parking lot. There were more great birds to be seen today. In fact I had a great, close encounter with both a Baltimore Oriole and another Rose-breasted Grosbeak. It was just too dark yet though and none of the photos turned out. Later I saw more Tree Swallows, Sparrows and a Pheasant. As I was making my way down the east side I almost walked right past a Flicker who was actually sitting right on the sidewalk just off to my left. I've read that they like to eat ants so it made sense. I'd never been so close to one and I was quite shocked at how large he was. Of course he flew off as soon as I noticed him there but I followed him for a bit and watched him drinking water from the slough area nearby. Growing right along side the water was a tree with bright pink blossoms. I'm guessing maybe it's some kind of Crab Apple Tree but I'm not sure. I'll have to check back to see if it has any fruit on it. As I was heading back I saw a female Red-winged Blackbird fairly close to the trail so I took a couple of shots. Some sexes of birds are so similar, with just minute details setting them apart, while others like Red-winged Blackbirds are completely different from male to female. The female is not black, nor Red-winged at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment