Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Colorful little Birds

The sun was back today and we finally warmed back up to a high of 59 degrees! It was just too nice not to visit the park. Over the last couple weeks I've been noticing some tiny, tiny little birds bouncing around in the trees. I tried once before to catch a photo and gave up easily because they seriously don't sit still for more than half a second. I deduced from my field guide -strictly based on their small size- that they were Ruby-crowned Kinglets. Tonight as I was cutting through the south west side on the wood chip trail, I caught an obvious flash of red on a small bird just off the trail over the creek. There were 3 or 4 in the same bush and it was a fantastic opportunity to watch them closer. As usual, they were what I'd describe as "hyperactive," changing positions every second or two. It made for quite a challenge to catch one in my viewfinder, focus and snap a picture before they would move again. I spent a full 30 minutes or so watching them and taking pictures -and they were quite entertaining. Once in a while they would bury their head into a clump of budding leaves almost like a Hummingbird in search of nectar. Also, after I approached closer they would periodically flutter right in front of my face and then land on a branch right above my head. I could really see all their detail including their potent olive-green coloring. I didn't see much afterward except for the usual groups of Deer. By the time I was making my way back to the south side, the sun was setting and casting a nice glow where the creek flows back out of the lake. As I was admiring the light, I noticed a bunch more birds that I thought looked yellow simply because of the sun. As the sun faded, the birds stayed yellow. These were also busy little birds, fluttering around quickly but often coming back to roughly the same spot just a few feet above the creek. When I checked with my binoculars I recognized one as a Yellow Warblers by the dark streaking on the belly. This is only the 2nd or third time maybe that I've seen them at the park. A few others appeared mostly yellow but with some distinctive black and white banding on the head. I really had no idea what these were at the time but I my field guide confirms that they are Common Yellowthroat -which is also a type of Warbler and one NEW bird species that I can add to my list!

No comments:

Post a Comment