Saturday, May 14, 2011

Becoming a Birder

Slowly but surely, my regular visits to Palmer Lake Park over the past couple of years have turned me into an avid "Birder." After cuing in to migration time last year, I'm realizing just how special spring is to birding in Minnesota. This spring, I've spotted and identified twice as many species as last year but I'm also realizing that I'm barely scratching the surface. To me, birding is a lot like collecting coins, stamps, antiques or what have you. Every time I photograph and positively ID a new bird, it's like adding it to my collection. There's also a ton of research regarding subtle nuances and varieties, just the same as if you were collecting anything specific. My collection today started with a nice addition of a Northern Flicker, only the 2nd one I've ever seen at the park. He was high up in a tree and facing me, allowing me to see his spotted breast. Later at the bridge, I spotted a small orange and black bird that landed on the fallen tree laying in Shingle Creek. I tried over and over to catch a photo but it eventually flew off. About this time, a fellow nature lover whom I've come to know, walked up and told me it was an American Redstart. As we stood on the bridge exchanging stories, he pointed out a Water Thrush and a Common Yellowthroat. I only got a photo of the latter -but both are members of the Warbler family. After a while, we ended up walking together for a while and I was amazed at what a keen eye he has for nature. I'd have walked right past without noticing until he pointed out this Jack-in-the-Pulpit plant that was growing just a couple feet off the paved trail. I've only seen them before at the Eloise Butler Wildflower Garden so it was a special treat to find this one. Just before we got to back to his vehicle, we spotted a couple unidentified warbler-like birds in the plumb trees outside the trail loop that are just now starting to bloom. I went in closer for some pics but only caught two less-than-decent photos. My companion studied the photos and when we got to his truck he pulled out a comprehensive field guide giving merit to his belief that it was a Tennessee Warbler! Since I trust his expertise about 100 times more than my own I'm gonna say that it was indeed a Female Tennessee Warbler. This evening I went and purchased a new field guide to Birds of North America as well as another, smaller guide to Warblers specifically.

No comments:

Post a Comment