Monday, November 1, 2010

Frosty Morning

I was able to start off the month of November with an early morning walk. It's been noticeably cooler in the mornings but the weather has really been holding out this fall. It's still sunny and way above average temperature wise. In fact this morning was the first time I really noticed frost on the ground. It coated the green ball fields and kind of made the grass seem like rigid artificial turf. I did see a few deer here and there but nothing real close. This couple was waiting to cross the paved path in front of me. I don't think either were fawns I've seen recently as they looked a bit older. During most of my walk I could hear squawking Seagulls and upon rounding the east side I could see a bunch of them on the water. Though they're certainly not uncommon, I realized that I've only seen them in the park for very short times -somewhere between fall and winter. My field guide says they are a Ring-billed Gull. Maybe their presence is signaling the end of this extended fall season.

No comments:

Post a Comment