Friday, November 26, 2010

Cold Friday and Curious Deer

After the snow rolled on out it got really cold for Thanksgiving and the day after. When I left the house this Friday morning it was a whopping 5ยบ above zero! I guess the Pheasants must like this weather because I saw five of them. All were in flight however so I didn't get a single picture. I did take close to forty pictures though -all of deer, and even of the same group. There were six of them in all but two were kind of their own, back further and in the same area on the north side where I've gotten really close before. Today was the same as I watched them fight over food from a very close distance. When the Does would find something to eat, the Fawns would push their face right up towards her mouth hoping to share. The Does would have none of it and rear back and pull away. I felt a bit bad for the Fawns but I suppose they need to learn to find their own food eventually and not rely on mom forever. It was a bright, clear, sunny day and at this proximity I was getting one good photo after another. I had a hard time choosing just three for this post but I thought this one of the fawn was kind of funny because I caught him in mid-chew. After a while the group kind of broke up after losing interest in foraging and both a Doe and Fawn started to approach me. I was seriously cold by this point, having not moved for a while so I snapped only one or two more pics before heading on.

No comments:

Post a Comment