Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Into June

Just off the wood chip trail on the south side near the parking lot is a little swampy body of water that tends to scum-over quite early in the season. Though it's small it's been home to muskrat, turtles and ducks. This evening there were two male Wood Ducks together on the far end -adding to my already large list of Wood Duck sightings this year! Near the west side there are some high treetops that are a great place to see birds of all kinds. There I spotted my first Cedar Waxwing of the year. They are relatively easy to spot at they have a very smooth, glossy look to them. I've yet to learn any of their calls but will hopefully be seeing more of them. The periodic rain I'd mentioned earlier has become more frequent and the water levels are now rising slowly but steadily. The same mound of earth and grass that was home to Trumpeter Swans this April is now much smaller and claimed by the spring Mallards.

No comments:

Post a Comment