Saturday, January 23, 2010

Soggy Saturday

I started my walk fairly early on Saturday and was surprised to have to deal with a spring-time rain in the middle of January. Had it not been for my many layers I would have been soaked by about a quarter of the way around. I stopped on the west side watching the rain puddle on top of the ice where the water flows back into Shingle Creek. As the rain hit the hard packed snow and ice, it froze upon impact, turning the paved trail around the park into a virtual skating rink. Seriously, this was the toughest time I'd ever had simply walking around the park. After three miles of keeping my knees locked in order to keep from falling on my ass, my legs felt as if they'd run a ten mile marathon. Whenever I could, I hit the wood chip trails and had much more traction on the frozen snow. Rain droplets hung everywhere and it was a downright dismal day.

No comments:

Post a Comment