Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Stomping Deer and Turkey

Sunday, June 7th 2009. Just before rounding the corner on the North East side, I spotted something shiny way off in the woods that ended up to be a mylar balloon. Since I didn't want to leave it laying there, contributing to the already littered park, I grabbed a stick and popped it. Immediately after, I noticed 2 deer very close behind me. I balled up the deflated balloon and shoved it into my pocket while they watched closely. They were super curious and actually walked a few steps toward me. They were so close that the one in the front started stomping the ground with it's hooves. I realized I was probably TOO close and backed up to find a log on which I could sit and watch. From there I watched them forage while snapping photos here and there. Only after I got home and looked at them on my computer did I realize that one was a buck with newly grown antlers covered in velvet. He was the more curious of the two, stepping way in front of the doe to check me out. After I was satisfied with my photo opportunities I slowly backed out from where I'd entered. Only a few minutes afterward I spotted a turkey off in the woods -something I'd never seen at Palmer Lake before!

No comments:

Post a Comment