Saturday, June 13, 2009

Wildlife on the water

Red-wing blackbirds are everywhere lately. Been tryin' to get a decent photo of one but they don't stay put for very long. Here's a recent attempt. Didn't think I was gonna see much this walk as I hadn't seen anything until I got half way around to the bridge over Shingle Creek. There I spotted about 20 Carp and a Wood Duck with babies. A little further I noticed a huge Snapping Turtle in a little swampy area. He went under right away so I couldn't get a photo. On the last corner, crossing Shingle Creek again, I spotted another Snapping Turtle right up by the bank. I stopped quickly to avoid spooking him and he just kinda floated there. Eventually he poked his head out and I got some photos of him. They are cool to see as they're so large and their long necks make them look even bigger. I'm guessing this guy's shell alone was about 18" long. Also spotted another female Wood Duck with babies in the same area.

1 comment: