Sunday, June 21, 2015

The Brilliant Colors of Nature

I set out on today's hike around the park with one bird in mind –and Indigo Bunting. After trying many times last year to get a nice photo I was determined to get one this Sunday. But before I got around to the north side I spotted a somewhat cooperative Yellow Warbler. I got many photos of him in the shade and even closer, but I chose to post this one where he's out in the sun. This year I learned a little on telling apart a male from a female and this one with it's bold orange breast streaks and bright yellow head is most likely a male. The female would be a somewhat more drab version of the male with barely a hint of the streaking on the breast. When I got to the north side I found at least one of the Indigo Buntings and spent a lot of time following it from tree to tree. After a LOT of effort and nearly an hour, I finally had him land a bit lower and in good light and I jumped at the opportunity. I was thrilled how this one came out and I think it finally shows just how brilliant of a blue the males appear. They are such a wonderful bird in color and song and I truly look forward to seeing them each summer. The moments I spent capturing this photo will stick in my mind for a long time. On my way back I spotted one of the only Damselflies that I can readily identify –an Ebony Jewelwing. Though Damselflies are in the same order (Odonata) as Dragonflies, they are different family due to the way they are able to "fold" their wings together. The Ebony Jewelwing is appropriately named for it's ebony or black colored wings which at first look completely opaque, but are indeed slightly transparent. The small white dots near the outer edges of the wings tell me that this one is a female versus a male who would not show any white dots on his wings. I think that is pretty amazing that such a small creature only 1.5 to 2 inches long so obviously displays it's sex like that. Other birds I spotted today included; Baltimore Oriole, Tree Swallow, Red-winged Blackbird (juvenile), American Goldfinch, Warbling Vireo, Least Flycatcher, Brown Thrasher, Great Egret and a Mallard hen with chick. Oh, I also saw a Mourning Cloak Butterfly too!

No comments:

Post a Comment