Saturday, February 21, 2015

Twice Around for Good Measure

This Saturday was another cold day, even though we're nearing the end of February. My job unexpectedly kept me home for the morning and I wasn't able to get to the park until just after 1:00pm. When I finally arrived at the park I hadn't walked more than 50 feet when some friends of mine pulled in and honked at me. Having been in such a bad mood previously, I was happy to see them and asked if they'd walk all the way around the park with me. They obliged and we kept a pretty brisk pace in order to stay warm. It was completely sunny though which was nice. I didn't take many photos as were busy talking and catching up. So when we came back to our vehicles, I decided to stay out longer in search of some birds. First I hiked a little ways into the woods and watched some Dark-eyed Juncos, House Finches and a pair of Northern Cardinals. This female seemed like she was being pursued by the male and she kept changing perches. Finally she stayed put long enough for a few pics. Staying along this course I eventually caught up with a couple of Black-capped Chickadees picking at the tree buds. They are fast little buggers and very hard to catch a decent photo of. It reminded me that Warblers will soon be back in just another couple of months so I'd better start practicing! A little ways further and now running into thicker Buckthorn trees, I spotted a Barred Owl perched right out in the open. I had to look pretty much right into the sun to see it and the bright light almost made the Owl appear to glow on the sides. I stayed a fair distance back as to not bump it, took a few shots, thanked the Owl and then went on my way quietly. Barred Owls will be pairing up very soon and scoping out a nesting area IF there is indeed another one in the park. Well just 5 minutes later I think I can prove that theory correct. As I exited the woods and got back out onto the paved path, I picked up my pace to warm up again. But I didn't get very far before I spotted another Barred Owl! This one could be seen right from the paved path and so little time had gone by, I really doubted it was the same one. Yes, it certainly could have flown over to this other area in the time, but I just have a hunch that it's a different bird. Having seen 3 Great-Horned Owls earlier with my 2 friends, this made a total of 5 Owls I saw in one visit which might be a new record for me! By this time I was 1/3 of the way around the park again, and I really wanted to visit the "duck pond" one more time. The light was getting even nicer now and I thought it might make a good time to watch and photograph the Mallards. Indeed there was lots of duck activity and good chances to catch the drakes shining in the sun. I would keep my eye clear of my viewfinder just long enough to notice one that was diving and bathing. Then I would attempt to zero in on that duck as it raised up and flapped it's wings to dry and such. I didn't take this photo in a vertical format, but cropped it so later as I just thought it made a more interesting photo. And I like how you can see the water droplets on his head too. Come to think of it, these Mallards have given me lots of practice time with my new camera lately. Coming back to my vehicle yet again, I was thinking that I've not hiked around the entire perimeter for a loooong time! Also I'd hiked nearly another 30 minutes past 5:00pm for the first time in quite a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment