Monday, November 3, 2014

Searching for Owls on Monday Afternoon

I had off of work this Monday and decided to visit the park in the late afternoon around 3:30pm. I hadn't intended to hike around the entire perimeter of the park but make it to the foot bridge over Shingle Creek and back. Shortly after setting out on the north side I spotted a nice looking male Cardinal that I tried to sneak up on since he was at eye level. I caught him through an opening in the thick brush and snapped a couple of photos that turned out very well I think. After heading on and nearing the creek, I heard a very strange noise and stopped to listen. It was a ways away but to me sounded very much like a Screech Owl. Since I've never seen one in the wild I got excited and decided to trek around the outer edge of the field on the north side that butts up against a drainage ditch and some townhomes. After poking around for a long while the only thing I saw was a Buck who took off running at top speed. I decided to try for a photo anyway since it was a Buck and this is what I got. Funny thing I hadn't noticed at the time that his tongue was out. I wonder how they don't bite their tongue while running so fast! After spending a lot of time in this area and not seeing anything else, I'd run out of daylight already. But upon heading back towards my vehicle, I heard another Owl –this time an unmistakable sound of a Great Horned Owl. It sounded very close too so I headed back on the other trail that leads out of the park. Sure enough there he was, perched high up in an Oak tree. I took this photo at 4:56pm and at the time the Owl was mostly just a dark blob. So I lightened up the photo the best I could. This is the first GHO I've seen this fall at the park!

No comments:

Post a Comment