Wednesday, May 14, 2014

A Cool and Breezy Evening

As is usual for this time of year, I have a back-log of posts for the blog. Since May is the most wonderful month to be a birder in Minnesota, I am wisely spending my time outside and will try to catch up on blogging later. But since I had an article published in the local Brooklyn Center paper today, I wanted to update the blog for any potential new viewers out there. It was a little colder than I realized when I arrived at the park this evening after work. I tied my sweatshirt jacket around my waist in case I needed it later but quickly realized I would need it even sooner. I saw a decent variety of birds this evening, and I counted 37 total species! This is not bad at all, though I wanted to break my record of 40 –a feat I first achieved only this past Sunday the 11th. The first bird of interest this evening was a Thrush of some kind on the wood chip trail. I was pretty sure it was not a Hermit Thrush. They have an obviously rusty red tail but this bird did not. Through various sources I later learned that it is a Swainson's Thrush. This is a bird I've only photographed one other time this past fall. Probably the main reason that most birders spend so much time out birding in May is for Warblers. Many people ask me "what exactly is a Warbler?" Well here is my attempt at an answer; Warblers are colorful little birds ranging from about 4 to 5 and a half inches long –about the size of a Chickadee. They fit into a certain family of birds known for having 9 outer wing feathers, 9 inner wing feathers, and 12 tail feathers. They all also have similar characteristics of complex patterning as well as eat insects or caterpillars –which is why they don't come back to Minnesota until early May. The following excerpt is from my Stokes Field Guide to Warblers"Warblers are amongst the most beautiful birds in North America because they are so brightly colored. They are like little jewels in the treetops, tantalizing you with brief glimpses. Once you see one, you inevitably will want to see more. For some people, watching warblers during spring and fall migration is almost an obsession –a wonderful obsession." This evening I was able to spot one of the most sought after warblers –a Magnolia Warbler! This is a strikingly beautiful bird with bold patterns on top of a vivid yellow breast, and to see one in it's natural environment is a real joy. Unfortunately this is probably the best photo I got tonight though it certainly wasn't for a lack of trying! But at least I can say that I saw him and am able to log one for the park this year! There were other Warblers visible tonight including Northern Waterthrush, Black-and-white, Yellow, and American Redstarts. But by far, another Warbler –the Common Yellowthroat– was seen everywhere. I have come to associate these pretty little birds with cattails and water more than any other environment. In the summer months that is definitely where you will find them but tonight they seemed to be everywhere; along the water, in the woods and even out in the fields. From all of our recent rains, there is no shortage of standing water at the park which is likely the reason they were so plentiful and active today. When I was nearly back to my vehicle, I could hear a Baltimore Oriole somewhere close by. I had seen several along the way but this one happened to be up in a tree almost right above my car. I'm not sure if he was searching for insects or if he was actually dining on part of the newly budding leaves. They are also known to eat both fruit and nectar so it could have been either. By now the sun was going down and the light made him look even a brighter orange than normal. I watched him work away at the buds for a while and found it interesting that he would shout out his loud whistling call even while busy foraging.

No comments:

Post a Comment