Saturday, February 8, 2014

Another Gray Day

Due to our recent long-running cold snap, I've often been waiting until the afternoon to go around the park. It helps some as the temps can at least crawl into the teens instead of single digits above zero! I also tried to change things up today by walking the opposite direction of what I normally do. The sky was overcast today giving me hopes that I might spot an Owl but I had no such luck. There was a kind of bird "hot spot" that I came across on the north side where someone had dumped a handful of field corn. There were quite a few Cardinals here, perched in the trees above and waiting their turn to swoop down and steal a piece. I thought I might finally get a good Cardinal shot this way but they still spooked when I went in close. As I waited there were both Downy and Red-bellied Woodpeckers flying back and forth above me. They had no interest in the corn as they continued to hammer at the trees looking for insects of some kind. Finally this female Cardinal came in for a bite. Later near the southeast side before the duck pond, I noticed a group of Sparrows in some bushes right off the trail. At first glance most appeared to be Tree Sparrows but then I realized there was something different in there. They turned out to be House Sparrows. I have oodles of these in my own back yard but rarely do I see them at PLP. I just read recently that both European Starlings and House Sparrows will intentionally destroy eggs AND even peck to death other species of baby songbirds such as Bluebirds. This is why the House Sparrow is generally considered a "nuisance bird." From here I could already hear the Mallards and wondered how many were there today. As expected there had to be somewhere close to 200 in the same place, keeping the water from freezing over. This is the very reason I refer to the area as 'the Duck Pond." It is sometimes fun to sit and look carefully among the group for species other than Mallard. This is how I first became aware of a single Gadwall that had joined the group in past years. I can tell that other park goers have been feeding them as when I approach the group they actually fly up the bank and come right too me. More on that in a future post! After I moved on and was making my way through the snow trampled wood chip trails, I noticed a solitary bird perched up in the top of a tree overlooking the center of the park. I actually didn't give it too much thought, but then realized quickly what it might be. Indeed it was a Northern Shrike and I've not seen one for at least a month I think! Of course he was way off the trail so I decided to hike through the snow to get closer. I quickly learned just how deep the snow was as I sunk up to my knees with every step. I only made it about half the proximity I had intended before the Shrike flew off. Unfortunately this was the best photo I got, with it facing away from me. Oh, I also later spotted a handful of Robins perched in similar fashion near the tops of the trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment