Sunday, February 23, 2014

Another Coating of Winter

On Thursday & Friday of this week, we got walloped again with another snowstorm. Some predictions were saying it might be the single largest snowfall of the season. As if we need any more snow! I don't remember what the actual total was but I'm guessing it was somewhere around 7 - 9 inches. Neighbors have been plowing and digging out all weekend and the snowbanks are becoming increasingly difficult to see over at intersections. After I finally got my own driveway cleared I was able to get to the park on Sunday. Heavy, wet and sticky snow still clung to everything days later and it seems every little twig in the park has expanded to double it's girth. Snow like this can dramatically change the landscape and the look of things and it was just interesting to look at. Birds were somewhat scarce today other than the usual Juncos, Cardinals and a few Woodpeckers. I did watch a Chickadee very closely as it inspected the end of a broken off branch –probably for some kind of food. Later in the same area I thought I noticed some movement in the thickly coated shrubs. When I peered in I could see a group of Mourning Doves huddled together under the new white canopy of snow. I really wanted to get in closer for a better pic but stepping off of the trail meant falling into snow up to my waist! Somewhere on the west side I stopped to watch a few Northern Cardinals and admire their red color against the clear blue sky.


No comments:

Post a Comment