Sunday, December 8, 2013

Snowy and Silent Sunday

This past Wednesday, December 4th we had our first significant snowfall at about 6 inches. And as per usual, after the snow fell our temps plummeted dramatically. At first we hit single digits but then it continued to drop into the double digits below zero. Yesterday December 7th our morning temperature was -14 degrees! So I opted not to venture outside for a walk yesterday at all. Today was a bit more tolerable, climbing back to roughly 10 above but with a slow and continuous dusting of snow. At a particular part of the trail today I remembered taking a photo not that long ago, thinking I would do a comparison after it snowed. So I stood in approximately the same spot for a photo today and combined them here. The top photo was taken 15 day earlier. Because of my hurting back I'm not supposed to be walking more than roughly 30 minutes at a time. But as I took in the quiet and peaceful surroundings of the park I just kept going. In fact I went all the way around and then some –going off the paved path hoping to see something more interesting. Having hiked only a short distance through the snow on the far northeast corner, I spotted something large take flight from a stand of thick trees to my right. I realized quickly it was an Owl and I pulled up my camera to try and catch him in flight. He was quite a long ways out in front of me so the photo's not great. The Owl then perched again shortly after this and I could just barely make out the shape of a Great-horned Owl even through my binoculars. I trudged closer but he took off once more and flew even further away. On my way back down the paved trail I watched this Gray Squirrel doing some pretty spectacular acrobatics in order to reach some dried up seeds. He was knocking some of the seeds off and they spiraled down landing right on me as I snapped pictures of him above. This was my favorite one of the bunch. After hiking through the snow I figured I'd give my back a break. So I dusted off the metal park bench where the trails meet and just sat there for a good 20 minutes or more. As I sat I saw Cardinals, Juncos, Blue Jays, Chickadees and various Woodpeckers –all doing there best to collect some food for the day. Then right in my viewshed a huge bird came flying straight towards me. I spotted him even before he'd passed the tree line and got my camera ready quickly. It appeared to be a young Bald Eagle and he passed quite silently straight above me. It was still snowing and after sitting for a time, myself and my camera were quite covered in snow. I only saw about 4 other park-goers today.

No comments:

Post a Comment