Saturday, August 10, 2013

Neat Little Birds

I've been slacking about getting out to the park in the morning like I used to and this Saturday it was after 10am by the time I arrived. But the late start didn't impede my success in locating some very interesting birds today. Over the wood chip trail on the southwest side I spotted a small little bird hopping about in the treetops very high above me. You could tell that it was gleaning insects off of the leaves and this helped me realize that it was a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher. In addition it was in almost the exact same area I'd first spotted one earlier this year. These are quite beautiful birds that have quite an intense blue coloring on their top but the problem is that it's difficult to see them low enough to the ground. Like before this one was so high up that most of my photos were practically from underneath him. Another bird I've not seen for some time presented itself to me on the north side just long enough to realize that it was a Wren. It quickly darted back into the thick Buckthorn but after waiting just a few minutes he made another appearance. By this time I'd gone in much closer to where I'd hoped I might get a better photo and as luck would have it, he popped out right in front of my camera. I love seeing Wrens as they can be a bit secretive. When I am able to see them I'm always amazed at how detailed their wings and tail are, with banding so tight together that they almost look speckled. I guess I was on a roll today with smaller birds as I again spotted a male Indigo Bunting later. He was in the very same area as before and again flying back and forth over the paved trail. These brilliantly blue colored birds are also tough to photograph as they prefer the treetops and never seem to come down to meet you. I followed him back and forth for a long while hoping he might at some point choose a lower perch. To my surprise he later landed right near me only about 8 feet up but when I raised my camera he took off a little higher. This was my best chance at a photo and though it is quite cropped in, at least you can see how bright blue he is.

No comments:

Post a Comment