Saturday, July 13, 2013

July Wildflowers

One thing I've come to enjoy about this time of year are all the wildflowers. Much like with birds, I am coming to appreciate the wide variety of unique and colorful wildflowers and plants. Even what many people would quickly write off as a "weed" can have beautiful flowers that are beneficial to birds if left to grow long enough. Thistle plants are just such one of those plants that most people don't like because of their prickly stems and leaves. I don't know much about thistle but I believe there are both native and non-native varieties found in the park. It made a nice colorful photo when I spotted this American Goldfinch land on this clump of purple thistle plants and begin pulling out the white strands of the dried up flowers. Another tiny but beautiful flower I look forward to now each summer is from the Jewelweed Plant. This plant is native and can grow "like a weed" as it name implies in wet places. In summer they will produce tiny little flowers in solid yellow or yellow-orange that hang like "ladies earings" or "jewels." Despite how small these flowers are, they will attract Hummingbirds like crazy and I've often watched Hummers spend a long time seeking out these flowers in the park. Probably even more neat than the flowers of the Jewelweed are the seed pods they produce even later in the year. These seed pods are why Jewelweed is also known as "Touch-me-not." If you find a nice, plump seed pod and just barely squeeze it or brush up against it, it will "pop" dramatically, sending the seeds inside flying outward to ensure the growth of new plants. Still another beautiful flower I've been seeing a lot of lately are Marsh Milkweed. They produce brilliantly colored clusters of pink flowers that are far more intricate than meets the eye. You'll need to study them close up to see what I mean and they are quite extraordinary in my opinion. Though named Milkweed, I don't think these are the variety that Monarch Butterflies lay their eggs on. I believe that is a different variety altogether but I don't know the official name of that yet. Still learning quite a bit on my plants –so check back in a few years!

No comments:

Post a Comment